Mankind has been afflicted by kidney stones since centuries back. Kidney Stone also referred as Renal Calculi is named as Nephrolithiasis or Urolithiasis as per the medical terminology. According to the recent studies, 12% of the world is affected by Renal calculi at some point of their life. In Indian population, the prevalence rate is 12% out of them 50% may end up with loss of their kidney functions. However, the occurrence rate is more in males compared to females.
Urination helps to remove the toxins along with the liquid waste from the body. During this process, there are chances of formation of solid mass which happens due to the clumping of tiny crystals. These tiny crystals can be referred as Renal Calculus. It may be variable in size and shape. Many factors contribute to the formation of urinary stones. The chemical composition of kidney stone vary from individual to individual depending upon the abnormality. Depending upon the variations in their compositions they are mainly categorized into –
Person suffering with kidney stone experience with excruciating pain which is beyond explanation. Apart from pain, people also experience frequent urge to micturate, hematuria (blood in urine), nausea and vomiting. Most of the calculi, flushes out along with the urine but if they don’t life becomes miserable.
Formation of kidney stones is a complex and multifactorial process. These may include several inherent factors like age, sex, heredity, and external factors such as geography, climate, dietary, mineral composition, and water intake.
1. Drink plenty of warm water.
2. Consume fruits and vegetables rich in fibrous content. Some foods like lemon, orange, avocados, bananas, green leafy vegetables and pumpkin skins are very beneficial.
3. Tender Coconut water -Drinking a lot of coconut water will help to increase the body’s urine output. Apart from this, the amount of potassium present in coconut water helps to alkalinize the acidic urine and also dissolve the kidney stones.
4. Pomegranate juice - Pomegranate juice contains elements that lower the acidity of urine, making it harder for stones to form.
5. Sugar cane juice – Intake of sugar cane juice promotes frequent urination, which helps the small sized stones to pass through the urine.
6. Celery juice or seeds – Including celery seeds to the daily diet reduces the risk of urine formation.
7. Horse gram soup is said to be very effective in treating kidney stones.
To avoid recurrence: